Following all the recent updates of my “Broken Blog”, it’s finally coming to an end… or a fix.
As the week progressed, the situation only became worse. I could login for the most parts of the day, but for smaller parts I couldn’t. Then it was switched around, I could login for small sections of the day, but a majority of the time I was locked out.
Then over the past couple of days it became a lot, lot worse. I couldn’t login at all! I was checking more frequently, but nothing at all. Then this afternoon, I realised something awful! Code had been inserted into the theme, now my assumption is it was a hack of some kind (or a rogue plugin), but the good news is. I caught it before it became too serious, at least, I hope I did.
From the moment I saw the code I pulled the blog offline and switched the domain to the new one, whilst it wasn’t quite finished (You’ll notice small bugs such as the lack of sidebars, the Infinity Scroll bar not matching the theme) it was a suitable, working site. A new set-up, a new install, new databases… new, everything! Completely, well, clean!
Now, let me reassure you, the code that was “injected” linked back to a site, after some research that site has been associated with spam but it hasn’t been associated with viruses or anything like that. So good news there and this site is perfectly fine!
Now, my advice from here, although the transfer is complete (for me) it can take up to 48 hours (72 hours in some cases), so I would advise to not visit the site until Saturday, just to be on the safe side, in case you are sent to the old one (though it won’t be around much longer).
In the meantime, I’m going to finish up some work and hopefully have everything as good as new for Saturday!